Tuesday, December 28, 2010

This is where some of my earliest memories are from











When I was a kid I though this place was Lucknow. Everything seems so much bigger when you're a kid. And you never thought about where you belong. Being pampered and fed and played with. I remember the smell of oranges and salad and rum and sitting on my grandfather's lap wearing his big bulky headphones while he watched the news for the hard of hearing. I remember watching my brother and cousin playing Mario in the lower rooms. Big fish in the cement tanks, me bathing in an iron tub in the courtyard. Bounding up the stairs and looking for treasures in the niches in the wall. Being too scared to go in the barsati room. The sound of my uncle's over zealous praying and the smells of good food in the upstairs kitchen. Nimbu paani kept in the Kelvinator fridge. "Aaram badi cheez hai, muh dhak ke soiye".  Creepy mounted deer heads on the wall of the baithak. Watching the older kids fly kites. Sleeping on the roof. All of those are just vignettes in my mind, either things I remember seeing or second hand memories. Whenever I return to this place I go peeping into the locked rooms, trying to discover new things hidden away in the corners. But now more and more things are falling into decay. I'm bigger. I belong to another city though I was born in this one. And I'm a stranger with a camera. So though it feels good to see and to hear about things from my great grandfather's time onwards, I know that I'll never belong to this house.

10 comments:

Pink Moon said...

I wanna go to the house

sapera said...

I like the accumulation of soaps above the washbasin. Is it the red house you were born in? Is that also the courtyard in the pic with the iron tank?

Queer Fish said...

Shan, we can go whenever, my family would be happy to have one more person to feed.
Saptarshi, technically I wasn't born there, my parents lived in a house in the cantonment but yeah, I spent a lot of time there as a baby. My mum and us also briefly lived there when my dad was posted to Assam, we moved there soon after. And yeah, that's the courtyard.

sapera said...

Can I come too? :D I'll be on my best behavior. The kite flying dude is so going to fall off his roof.

Queer Fish said...

No Bangalis allowed. :D

girl in the dirty shirt said...

yay! you updated!i have nothing to say, except, i totally understand what you mean. its the same with me, when i go to kerala. All those idle childhood memories, (which more often than not, i feel like my brain just imagined) and the fact that no matter how much i want to 'belong', i just increasingly feel more like an intruder/outsider every time i visit.
btw! happy friggin new years my friend!

Queer Fish said...

Yeah, that's exactly what it's like. Not with the family members as such because they're always just totally warm and awesome but just... when you think about yourself in that place, that context. You kind of feel that you don't fit there.
Happy New Year to you too, ma cherie.

sapera said...

*crying on the inside

sapera said...

*sitting in the corner eating celery and refusing cake

sapera said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikZwgj89HI

Post a Comment