Monday, October 18, 2010

Thoughts about Mad Men (and women)

[the title may be misleading, I went totally off track as usual, I'll try to follow up on this idea later]


I keep two sets of notebooks. One for my more self indulgent private thoughts and another, this one currently for things that I might want to talk about with other people.
3 am smoke again. For once I'm not thinking about myself or the constant crowd in my head."My mother always told me it wasn't polite to talk about yourself" - Betty Draper. She wanted to smoke again.
I was thinking about Mad Men. "What do women want?" he asks repeatedly. Fraiser - "That's ridiculous! Men don't use sex to get what they want... Sex IS what they want!"


I read an article about Mad Men and feminism. But I'm thinking about men. Don Draper and Men. This cartoonist called Lev did a video called "How to be a man?", he mentioned that Askmen.com voted Don Draper their Top Man of 2009. I thought about the effect this show would have on the idea of masculinity that a lot of guys subscribe to. I'm not suggesting that people take their ideas of how to live their lives from TV shows, but I've seen how Entourage or How I Met Your Mother creep into the thoughts and language of my friends (just as Gossip Girl and The OC affects my girl friends) and I was just wondering how the glamourous old school cigars and cadillacs vibe of the Mad Men would affect people.
I'm still at the surface of the show, just started it, 4 episodes down. I've seen some episodes from the newer season on TV, but I don't watch TV most weekdays and I can never follow shows on TV, too tedious, plus they're censored. But I'm fascinated enough by it to start streaming it. And I love it already. Also, Christina Hendricks - YUM!
Having an insatiable curiosity about the past is part of the job of being a history student, besides I have a tendency to live part time in the past anyway. And these days I seem to be time travelin to the 60s a lot.
On the show, a woman told Don that she had never thought about it before, but it must be hard being a man. I agree. This was an era before 'moisturized masculinity' [as one of my professors said in a talk about Bollywood and masculinity - yes, we have men in the land of the amazons]. Whether or not you drove a Volkswagon minibus and wore your hair long or worked at Madison Avenue and wore your hair short and full of gel, there was a definition of what it was to be a man, and what it wasn't. Encroachments on this territory and questioning of this definition was not appreciated or tolerated very often.
One of my primary sources of how I started formulating my idea of "what it meant to be a man" uses moisturizer, borrowed my beaded necklaces and drinks white wine while watching Desperate Housewives.
As of now, I don't believe there is a way to be - either man or woman. Of course there are experiences exclusive to who we are - man or woman (both in biological and social terms), Indian or Belgian, Hindu or Wiccan. But smoking Lucky Strikes or drinking scotch or taking serious offense at being talked down by a woman doesn't make you more or less of a man. Neither do "masculine virtues" (virtues or attributes that come with being a man) like "chivalry", "aggression", "decisiveness" or "emotional firmness", I don't believe in "feminine virtues" (socially created fiction, both) either. I think everyone should have the choice to decide who they are. We're all as neurotic as each other, as vulnerable (Don's emotional repression, his "secret identity", his alcoholism?), as in need of other people to validate us once in a while and ultimately, we're all living in our heads.
My other main source of "What It Means To Be A Man" has been in a war, both commands and demands respect (and still gets flustered with insubordination from us two irreverent, civilian women), turns an ecstatic  pink when he gets a bargain at Sarojini Nagar, bonds with his daughter over cricket matches but sends her off to the other TV when the soaps are on (though still tries to keep up appearances by asking the score during ad breaks)  - "bonding" with his wife over the lives of shrill, scheming sati savitris.
As for me, I've grown up priding my bruised knees, climbing trees and walls, being told by old granny figures to sit with my legs crossed and try to occasionally dress like a girl, inheriting wisdom and Black Sabbath cassettes from leather jacketed motorcycle riding older brother, being consulted on the gory details of my male friend's relationships, having contraband CDs of lesbian pornography available for them during exam time internet blockades, discovering feminism and femininity for myself, being part of the intimate emotional crises of my female friends, still feeling confused when guys try to talk to me like a girl, wearing boxers under a pretty dress and combat boots with a mini(by my standards!)skirt. I'm still grappling with what it means to be me.
But I guess that's an experience shared by all of us. Even my estranged bisexual 2 year old (hopefully, if he's still alive out there) cat.

8 comments:

sapera said...

http://speropolis.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/whodjado/

And how dare you! :P

You have been socialized to profess that feminine virtues are socially created fiction.

Haha.

Queer Fish said...

Au contraire. I seem to lose all idea of feminine solidarity or virtues when I step into the place that should have me gushing with feminist enthusiasm. But I get what you mean.

My first source of "what it is to be a woman" never told me what it is to be a woman and allowed me to discover that for myself. She believes this is what we all come from and what we should aspire to be: http://mount-kailash.com/shiva/Ardhanarishvara.jpg and that compassion is the most important human virtue. :)

I don't really find any of the men on that show really sexy (the women, on the other hand...). I had a crush on Vincent Kartheiser in his Angel/Crime and Punishment in Suburbia days. Don Draper I can sort of respect. But I'd take Humphrey Bogart or Jean Paul Belmondo any day.

Pink Moon said...

DUDE i watched four episodes yesterday too and was going to write!! cosmic conexion, brotha.
I think that there is way to be man or woman- which is what we, as men and women learn from what shit like gossip girl and himym teach us. It is not a choice, but what has been driven into us since we started growing boobs and brains. Like how the guys BELIEVE that they if they smoke menthols or drink cosmos they are chicks. And how you and I both believe ki ladkon ko 'kabhi kabhi ladna chahiye'.
My prof says that all women, smart or intelligent, confident or timid are from the start schooled- sociologically and biologically to want a TYPE of man. not just any man.
I'm not saying that if i dude drinks vodka, or talks his way out of his fight then he is less of a man, or not sexy.
You're right, I know that I don't believe that there is a set of rules that makes me a woman. Till college I always believed that I was 'like the guys' because I only wore shorts and swore a lot, but I was a chick all along. The fact that our life is through the pre-existing, psychologically,socially, politically is the problem i think. i don't think i many ANY sense.
Draper's sexy- apologies for my stereotypical girl opinion.
and just for effect- boys suck.

also, i'll give you Antony and Cleopatra.
There is a transgression of gender boundaries by ALL characters. They defy the rules they lay out for themselves as man and woman.
Shakespeare totally agrees with you btw.
bros.

Pink Moon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pink Moon said...

The fact that I don't wear high heels (all the time) or that we swear like motherfuckers doesn't make us less or more of women.
The fact that s(you know who) or don d don't understand their chicks and are happy that way, or can't be 'spoken down to' doesn't make them more or less of women.
although, HATE s. LOVE don.
does small s( you know who)'s fluctuate his level of masculinity.
i think yes.
i don't know about being a woman. but i'm not a very good friend.

Queer Fish said...

Arre, great minds think alike, dahling. I believe in what Simone De Beauvoir said "one is not born a woman, but becomes one".
I sometimes think our friends belong in the Fight Club type Palahniuk world. They're going to grow up to be Ed Norton and then have like gender identity affirmation crises. Hahaha. :D What say, DJ? "Women don't know how to light matches"

Queer Fish said...

You're a great friend. A little indiscreet though, idiot! :D
I read somewhere that the guy who made the show, his first idea was the scene where Don D says to Rachel "I will not be talked to like that by a woman" or whatever. I thought that was great. I just love the way the show explores the relations between men and women at that time period honestly. That's what I always want, the practicalies, everyday interaction between people. Reading history, we often forget about the importance of things like conversation and mentality (Annales school! If any of my history bros are reading). That's what makes this shit come alive for me. I want to know how people spoke to each other, how they dressed, what they ate, what they thought about each other (like Betty and co about divorcee Helen or single girl Peggy)

sapera said...

It's time for your daily dose of hung, girls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85UwQ6j4kQ&NR=1

:D

Post a Comment