Oct 28
I'm listening to Lou singing Walk on the Wild Side and sitting in the balcony in my
brother's place in Sheffield. His voice is somehow melancholy and
reassuring and kind. It puts me in some sort of lull even as the cold
winds are ripping through my bones. His dying feels like something has
gone far out of reach, I don't know what.
The Arctic Monkeys are playing in Sheffield on the 16th, but its already
long sold out. I had many heartbreaks yesterday but I'm content to pace
the balcony and sing 'Do I Wanna Know' for the time being. But Low are
playing here too maybe I could go for that.
On the telly (yes telly), there's some soap my parents watch.
There's a guy who just pretended to jump off a cliff in front of his
fiance, then she became hysterical and started crying and he appeared
saying 'this time it was just drama, next time it won't be' (they have
subtitles for soaps here). Disturbing as shit.
I've been playing Ruzzle like a maniac. Currently playing with someone called fatdad1 who is kicking my ass.
Going
anywhere with your parents can be a nightmare. Specially when your dad
is the Most Infuriating Man On The Planet and your mum is a bit of a
space cadet like yourself. Ma is wearing a jacket that makes her look like a babushka and walk like
Salman Khan, she's slowly hobbling up a slope and pulling the knit hat
over her silver hair. Dad is wearing a furry dog ear hat that makes him
look like a Wes Anderson character (and he's dressed also like a typical
Pahari gent, tweed jacket and umbrella &cetera) and walks like
Charlie Chaplin, often fumbling and eating plums from his little plastic
bag. I'm wearing fire engine red combat boots and a black pea coat, you
can spot me as the one pulling her sleeves over her hands and looking
back repeatedly, exasperated and awkward, at her parents.
Oct 30
Woke up to the sound of hooving on my
head and dreams of being replaced by someone 'less naive'. Maybe i
should drink less coffee and be less of a cat when i return (i hang
around the office high on caffeine, dealing it to others and meowing and
pawing at people.) I guess curly haired boss was right i do have job
insecurity, i just don't want be replaced by some twat named Nitin. I
think i have that fear of missing out thing. Or rather like a ghost i
dream of things unfinished. Jobs, exams, papers, trips with friends.
Yesterday morning i woke to the sounds of parents fighting. I hid
under the covers and played Ruzzle to which i am now wholly addicted.
Like Shravan Kumar i have been lugging my parents across Sheffield
trying to make sure they don't get run over or push one another in front
of a bus. That's an exaggeration. Neither is homicidal. My father is
cantankerous with a capital C and often gives me mini rage aneurysms but
then those are tempered by many pangs of guilt and years of training in
growing thick skin. For those of you who have never seen me angry, you
can take comfort in the fact that most of the people who are quite close
to my have seldom or not at all seen me really angry. That's reserved
mostly for family. When I was a kid my dad used to tell me, after a
particularly bad shouting session that we only get angry at the ones we
love, 'sadak pe kisi bacche pe thodi na chillaoonga, tumhare bhale ke
liye hi toh keh raha hoon'. Well yeah.... whtevr dad. But yeah, it it
strange sometimes when I catch myself admonishing him for something now.
So we walk on through city centers and shops and past students on bikes and students striding confidently by and students waiting at bus stops. There are a lot of students btw. I think I'd like it here if I had to be here for a while.
So we walk on through city centers and shops and past students on bikes and students striding confidently by and students waiting at bus stops. There are a lot of students btw. I think I'd like it here if I had to be here for a while.
So I don't have a schengen visa and hence I cant go visit any of my
friends because the Brits are exclusivist chuts (anyone who's reading i
don't really mean it god save the queen. Rani mata ki jai please hamse
dugna lagan may lena). Or just because i am bad at planning. But my one
friend in Oxford is around so I might go visit him and pick up an
inferiority complex or two. It'll be good because he's a desi uncle and
he becomes even more of khulla saand when drunk (ref: Kotia in the
Bhasadnama post). Then here's Jimmy Neutron who we could go visit and
some more friends are around I think.
Oct 31
(00:12)
Everyone's asleep. I've washed
the dishes, put away the pasta I cooked, cleared up the counter and am
drinking whiskey and watching the making of BBC's Life. This Scottish
cameraman just jumped underwater through a hole in the ice, in
Antarctica. They say it took about 4 months and 100 dives to produce
the 10 minutes of footage we see in the DVD.
(21:19)
I'm feeling off today. I don't know
why but I think each of us is succumbing to some sort of little
depression since yesterday, one clinical, one physical and one just self
induced. Of course Inspector Clouseau is not the least affected since
his philosophy remains 'tension lene ka nahi, dene ka'.
Now everyone's retired to different rooms to recoup. I have cooked
thai curry and made salad and will make strawberry wala dahi later.
I
had told myself that in this month I'll read, I'll write, I'll take
photographs. In the past four days I've mostly played Ruzzle, made too
many fucking trips to Tesco and bought too many groceries and grit my
teeth a lot. Things aren't as psychotic as I'm making it sound. It's
just the little irritants of everyday life with family that I got unused
to in the past month because I hardly saw my parents all day. And at
home there's enough space for all of us to sink into our own routines.
But when you're forced to spend time together, the questions during
movies, during conversations that don't include you, during everything,
the unwanted advice, the Clouseau-like flaps and then blaming someone else for them, the running commentary on passersby - really get on your nerves.washing
The best part (the definitive best part, obviously) is that most
houses have tubs (yes, this is based on research). Tubs are a godsend.
Today I listened to QOTSA's 'Like Clockwork' and took a long bath and
just basked in the hot water and thought of nothing.
I must say the city is pretty dead on
Halloween, at least whatever of it I can see from my window, which is
not much, haha. Ma keeps saying if it was a festival in India people would be
all over the place. I'm disappointed there aren't even the friendly
local drunks tumbling around over each other, vomiting or fighting.
My other household zen is washing the dishes which was again interrupted by
Clouseau emerging in his pajamas (courtesy Air India from 5 years ago)
and peeping outside and giving comments on people returning home from
Halloween parties (they weren't even that exciting, nurse and ASBO
jumpsuit dude, dunno if the jumpsuit was a reference to Misfits, which
would be +1 worthy). Then I finished the dishes and stood on the
balcony for a while to try and catch some air since today wasn't that
cold. I'm just wearing a thin sweater. There was a well dressed (navy blue pea coat with shiny metallic buttons, dark brown pants, cream coloured converse) black
guy who was the only one walking by, his slim form disappeared in
silhouette beyond Velocity and I returned inside to the warm bed and
last few games of Ruzzle.
No comments:
Post a Comment