Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Time you've got me running

I wake up exhausted it's not morning/It's back to sleep, to re-dream me
Tegan and Sara who I'm way excited to be seeing tomorrow seem to be speaking my mind.


In the miserable English weather A and I are huddled under an umbrella, smoking. 3 curious kids inch closer and closer to us, under the tree, soon they're under our umbrella (ella ella). A and I exchange confused looks and wonder whether we're a bad influence but continue our smoking and conversation. The kids are giggling and nudging each other and one of them says "Didi dekho yeh kya keh raha hai, keh raha hai didi sharab pee rahi hai". More confused and guilty looks and nervous laughter from A and I. The other 2 say "Nahi nahi pagal sharab thodi na pee rahi hain, didi aise nahi karengi". We laugh, good to know you have faith in us, kids. Specially since we were furtively swigging Diet coke and Glenfiddich here at 10 am. The 5 of us are now quite happily sharing the umb chaata. We decide to have momos. The desi descendant of Italian mobster-Yakuza breeding with the slick 50s hair and dark eyebrows greets us and prepares us 2 plates of rain-dampened but still great momos and the kids skip off with theirs. Cigarettes frozen in time litter the puddles. I've got dirty boots and my suede pants are rainspotted. I catch and auto and A and I separate. In the auto I'm freezing and I cover my head with my stole and smoke with my fingers poking through my sweater sleeve. I was feeling like shit because of the depressing weather and the fact that we still have no idea when our exams are, hence holiday plans are in limbo (no house on the beach and you in my dreams shit). The cosmos, are literally pissing on our happiness. But I'm listening to T&S and groovin' into the Trade Fair frenzied metro station and this song makes me want to suit up and get drunk with my friends.
Stand up sit down baby
Gonna be a formal dress down hey day
We decide why not go downtown
How about you and me we go get wasted

8 comments:

Maggie said...

EPICness tomorrow.

Queer Fish said...

Hello! I noticed your comment on last.fm, how nice of you to stop by. :)
Yes indeed, tomorrow is going to be epic. My friend and I were half jokingly talking about being obnoxious fangirls and throwing our bras at them. :D

sapera said...

"As lesbians who never reference their oppression or even their sexuality, Tegan and Sara don't have men to lash out at, put up with or gripe about. This may be why their uncommonly detailed love songs are so short on drama -- a riddle worth pondering"

:D

sapera said...

You're all about the dialectics. I wonder if this is an Indian version of white guilt.

Queer Fish said...

I could be totally Cosmo Girl and say "That's because men bring all the drama", but I'm not going to. They're just good songwriters.
And what dialectics? That's just a confusing statement. Why don't you throw in the word modalities too. And postmodern?

sapera said...

way to not take the bait, jerk! :D

and if it sounds like a boast let it: I do not use words superfluously.

all your writing involves dialectics, a sort of 'here's one slice of life!' morphing into '...and now for something completely different!' and vice versa, in a cyclic process ad infinitum.

The street kids, the momos, and then the tegan and sara show which the smallest percent of a percent in India will attend. The whole life's rich pageant vibe.*

Was it fun though? Lesbian (hopefully incestuous) twins, I mean that's just win all over, how could it not be.

* which is all good btw, just sayin.

maggie said...

Haha xD
Ah it was so good, I think i'm in love with Sara, she sounds beautiful live!
I tried my best to be an 'obnoxious+obsessed fan' haha, I failed.
and I hate the fact that they just ran off so quickly x.x
(Oh and that Vivek guy pissed me off so bad, with his awkward dance and cockatoo-ish hair)

Queer Fish said...

Haha, Vivek wasn't so bad. I liked the camp little dance he was doing. That one song "Your Name" is kind of catchy. There's a version of him and Sara here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRh5ooIcFnQ
YES! They did run off too quickly. I was looking for them all over.

Post a Comment