Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Kasol

"Pairs of three pronged lasers emerge from the lights of the passing cars, filtered through the screen that separates the conductor and I. Our driver, the motorist hating Haryanvi maniac swerves past another bike and yells at him for being in the wrong lane. Raindrop leopard print dance past on the screen now. The buzz of anticipation has already got us seeing things. Lightning shatters the sky and illuminates the fields, eucalyptus trees and constant construction that are a familiar feature of all travels in the north. A beautifully sinister moon peeks through the dark clouds never fully revealing itself. Cars disappear like apparitions from the rearview mirror in a phantasmagoria of fog and smoke. Now we've stopped because the kid with the fucking weak bladder needs to piss again. The driver is exasperated. J-hop star whispers "inhale exhale" into my ear in a bass gruff Japanese accent. 320am. Bus winds through foothill now, the cluster of lights like constellations upon the hills curved back Below the bridge, the inky river snakes lazily by. 430am, in the distance I see a massive, brightly lit construction that looks like a rocket launch site but is probably some electricity generation station, unfamiliar to my Kumaoni eyes. Our side of the hills must be the windward side, we don't often see such dazzling lights. My instinct of hills rivalry has kicked in, the Himachalis have the tourists, the Garhwalis have the rivers, we have the silence.
Local stud boy with WWE shaved into his head wearing a straw hat and shiny earring is trying to chat us up. Blinding green light bounces off leaves, Tyndall effect through the Lord of the Rings forest. Pink faced children eye us curiously."

Written on the ride to Kasol on my cellphone.
There's a lot of things to be said about the trip and the trip. But somehow I can't think of putting it all down, maybe it'll be too incoherent, or maybe it's just a lack of imagination on my part. Hence, I have pictorial representations of our trip.
This being the best one:
                                             (dilated)

But look! Pretty scenery




4 comments:

sapera said...

Very endearing cellphone entry. Love the Kerouacish - 'Raindrop leopard print dance past on the screen now'

=)

Queer Fish said...

Haha, thank you. :)
I'm totally a dharma bum now, I have the wisdom of the "dalia lama" inside me.

little boxes said...

what prettiness :)
i want to know THE trip.
more importantly,what have you got back for mommy?

Queer Fish said...

I have brought back happy lucy for mummy. For the next time we meet. We must make a shady Paharganj plan soon.

Post a Comment